Re: Proliant 1000 pains in the butt

Thanx for the response,

A question though......
I would like some pointers/pointing on how to look for a way to determine
the specific controller (the onboard-one and the array (probably is the
kernel smart-2; although the kernel doesn't recognize it on boot)).

> my experience is when trying to use a cdrom drive under dos is to boot up
> with a win98 rescue disk.

Well that worked.......but it's not what I want (wasn't easy either).

> But, if you do not get the drive to work under Linux install either, do
> not expect it to work when the drive works under DOS.
>
> The kernel you have compiled, did you do that from scratch or did you use
> the default config?

I compiled it from scratch (i think it is with a standard setup) but bumped
in the overload on scsi-drivers. Forrest and Trees;  looking?
I made a bzImage, copied it to the rescue flop ( that part worked) renaming
it linux.
Boot worked, but it doesn't get to recognize the CD (that's half the way,
then I can "remote-configure" it i.e. get the monitor and keyboard out of
the way)

>The config files used for the kernel is in
> /boot/Config-2.2.17, copy this to /usr/src/linux/.config

I don't really get that. Copy and run # configure ?

>and configure
> your scsi adapters. This way your compiled kernel is most likely to boot
> and compatible to the kernel used for installation.

> Greetz,
> Sebastiaan
>

>  On Mon, 25 Jun 2001, Frans Schreuder wrote:
>
> > Hai,
> >
> > Still trying to get that thing working my way......
> >
> > Trying to be as complete as possible.
> > Proliant 1000
> > Pentium 60 :-)
> > 128MB ram
> > 5x4.3GB Fast wide scsi2 (?) on a smart array-2 compaq controller
> > 1x1.05 Seagate .....scsi on the onboard controller
> > 1x CDrom on the onboard controller.
> > 2x tokenring-cards (don't know how to use them though)
> > 1x ISA NE2000.
> >
> > I have installed the SoftPaQs for Dos.
> > I can boot from both controllers into dos.
> > But I can't get the CD-rom to work.........
> >
> > Here's my config.sys:
> > DEVICE=smartscsi.SYS /D:MSCD000
> > device=fsw2aspi.sys
> > device=fws2cd.sys
> > device=fws2disk.sys
> >
> > And my autoexec.bat:
> > MSCDEX.EXE /D:MSCD000 /L:E
> >
> > Please bear with me for I DOS not know ;-)
> >
> > Somebody suggested to use the bootfloppies, the compact-flavour, but
that does not find either scsi-controller/harddisk/cdrom.

> > Trying to do it the loadlin-way, got me to the root.bin file, that I
cannot get on a floppy. Thus blocking that road.

> > I even went on compiling a kernel with everything that smells scsi in
it. bzImage reported an error on it being to big.
> > But with just the smart array and all the ram stuff in the kernel, it
wouldn't see the controllers either.(on bootflop).

> > Does anybody have some enlightning suggestions or pointers so that I
need not learn anything (although I did a lot lately).