RE: big IBM harddisk

Now that's awfully silly; what if his needs are storage and not
processing? The last thing linux folks ought to be doing is following the
Microsoft "You must have at least a 1Ghz processor to write a shopping
list" line.

On motherboards.com, he'll pay approx. $300 for a new motherboard and CPU,
*assuming* (probably incorrectly) that his existing RAM and case will work
with them. Same place, he can get a 60G hard drive for $245. You do the
math.

On the original question: I agree that there's probably some physical
problem (cables connected incorrectly, drive physicially dead, jumpers set
wrong, etc.).  Even if the BIOS doesn't understand the drive's geometry,
it should be able to see it on the bus and even allow linux to access it.

Andrew J Perrin - andrew_perrin@unc.edu - http://www.unc.edu/~aperrin
      269 Hamilton Hall, CB#3210, Chapel Hill, NC 27599-3210 USA