Re: An *idea* that *might* put Debian on top (?)

On Sun, Jun 24, 2001 at 06:48:49PM -0700, Jack Pryne wrote:

:Sounds like you have some valuable insight into the task at hand! But
:consider the fact that this system I propose would not be trying to cram
:infinite permutations on a disk. Instead, it would create a communal
:reference library, holding information on the configurations of many systems
:all over the world.

Well I didn't cram it all onto a disk, the disk boots up and the real
working pieces are mounted over NFS...

I say your proposal is much more difficult.  I'm working in a
comparitively well defined environemnt and most of the "important" (to
me that is) stuff doesn't change.

How do you determine who's system is a good model and who's is just a
bad idea (after you've matched hardware etc..)?

:What would be distributed is analagous to a free
:membership card which entitles the bearer to free advice, maintainence,
:and/or tech support.

Except for maintainence, you're reading the best tech support I've
ever gotten, bar none.  Most stuff gets atleast some response within
an hour, 27x7.  I pay through the nose to get 4h support tht's usually
not as good :)

I really can't say enough about the quality of this mailing list!

:After all, if you were a confused newbie, wouldn't you
:want the shoemaker elves to come and fix your computer while you slept? ;)

I'm with the goblin guy :)  aside from my "do it yourself" ways, the
security implications of this are scary.  Not to say absolutly
insolvable, but far from trivial.

-Jon