Re: [users] Re: An *idea* that *might* put Debian on top (?)

i just wanted to add my two pfennige.
see, the reason that debian rocks is that it does not impose
configuration tools on you like suse and redhat. it does provide a
very cool package system, but everything is under the control of the
user and vi. that's the beauty.

now looking at how i frequently already disagree with the formatting
of config files contained in the packages, or the default settings for
an application, i couldn't possibly imagine running such a distributed
system.

don't get me wrong, i am all up for slamming Micro$oft's "how to add
.Net to your old software to keep it cutting edge" braindeadness, but
the idea of having other users influence my system is disturbing.
granted, the debian-cracks wouldn't use it, at least not for
configuration, but that means that such a database contains configs by
novices, which, unless very carefully monitored by experts, could
result in an inferno.

i am just thinking...

instead, pre-installed debian is a good idea, because once running,
apt-get is too easy to use. in addition, have workshops! i, for one,
am about to organize a monthly linux meet at a local computer cluster,
encouraging people in papers and by word of mouth to come and play
around. it'll be debian, of course, and i'll have a couple of cool
dudes along to help me out, but i think something like this to get
people excited, and then the offer to pre-install debian for them
(even though that's the best exercise) for something low like $20
maybe (or not - depending on how i can swing it), would be the best,
don't you think? i will make some computers available at the cluster
for debian test-installations - for people to come and try it
themselves.

it's still in preparation, but it'll go live in july or august...

as i was going up the stair
i met a man who wasn't there.
he wasn't there again today.
i wish, i wish he'd stay away.