Re: An *idea* that *might* put Debian on top (?)

Thanks for your feedback, Brad,

I'm glad you mention this. My theory is that this system could run self-diagnostics to determine, to whatever degree, what make/model of hardware it is working on. In cases where the exact model could not be determined, whatever info can be gleaned would comprise a new profile. For example, diagnostics reveal that the sound card is *not* a sound blaster, or a turtle beach. So it is called "soundcard X", and the system looks for other users in the community which have a soundcard that matches the test results of this card. If matches are found, the system transfers drivers and sound support files from the operational systems to the new user. If no matches are found, near matches arte found, and trials are tested to arrive at a workable solution. I know I'm getting a bit far-out here, but I feel sure that such a system has the potential to revolutionize computing.

Jack Pryne

From: "Brad Davis" <DejaVudew@hotmail.com>
To: "Jack Pryne" <jianju@hotmail.com>
Subject: Re: An *idea* that *might* put Debian on top (?)
Date: Sun, 24 Jun 2001 15:12:33 -0500

Howdy,
One of the problems I see with this is that the average user, even yours
truly, doesn't know every piece of hardware on their computer. In fact, the
individual that buys the pre-packaged deal doesn't even typically know what
hardware comes with it, only what type of hardware. For instance, I know I
have a motherboard which supports 600 MHZ of processing speed with a PIII,
but that's about all I know about my motherboard. My monitor was more
difficult for me to configure, as I had to dig up the paperwork I'd luckily
saved for it, since it's a generic monitor. My NIC has been even more
difficult to configure, simply because I can't quite figure out what it is.
I think you see the point.

Great idea though. You should still go through with it, as it will still
help all who don't run into the problem I listed.

 - Brad