Re: What is state of package installed despite dependencies?

On Sat, Jun 23, 2001 at 10:14:26PM -0700, Ross Boylan wrote:
> apt-get also tells what it's about to do and then asks for a confirm.
> For extra safety, apt-get -s will do a dry (no action) run.

That is true, but it is still not quite the same.  For one, apt-get
will make its own choice about what real package to pick if it has to
fullfill a depends: some virtual package name.  AFAIK anyway, maybe it
is time I reread the apt manpages once again.

 [gtoaster problems]

If there is an issue with the quality of the package, file a bug and
ask the maintainer to do something about it.  Upstreams does something
broken is not an excuse, but a reason to work around that in the package.

> > > So I thought I'd try just installing the deb.  As I said, I thought the
> > > version dependency checking happened at the dpkg level.
> >
> > Yes, but dpkg looks only one step ahead.  Apt-get can look more steps
> > ahead and walk dpkg around.  Dselect gives you an overview before you
> > set off.
>
> dpkg seemed to do more like half a step: it removed the old version,
> unpacked the new version, and then at configuration discovered there
> were missing dependencies and bailed out.

So it only lets you shoot off half a foot at a time.  :-)

Cheers,

Joost