Re: What is state of package installed despite dependencies?

On Sat, Jun 23, 2001 at 09:28:49AM -0700, Ross Boylan wrote:
> >Let me guess, you have considerable experience running Red Hat Linux?
>
> No.

Oh well, the cheap shot was at redhat, so never mind.

> >Is doesn't have to be like this with Debian.  Use dselect, it fits
> >all your purposes.  If dselect will not let you install some package,
> >it is either not advisable from a perspective of system consistentcy,
> >or you haven't set up the prerequisites incompletely.
                                           ^^
                                        my typo

> Neither dselect nor apt would work without changes because unstable/sid is
> not in my sources list.  The newer version was only in unstable.  I didn't

Well, that counts as incomplete prerequisites (sources.list).

> want all of unstable. There only  safe options I know of:
> 1) Edit sources list to include unstable/sid.  apt-get update; apt-get
> install xxx; edit sources.list back the way it was. apt-get update.  I'm
> not sure if this updates only xxx and dependencies, or if it updates
> everything that now seems out of date--which would be everything.

Like this, it can be a bit of a guess what will come out.

> 2) like 1, with dselect.

Dselect will tell you what you will be doing before you do it.  Then it
will do the apt-get thing anyway.

> 3) Use apt-get's new pin feature (-t) after editing sources list.  The
> problem is that if I want this on an ongoing basis I need to add unstable
> to sources list, leaving woody there (1+2 just replace it).  Then I need to
> set some option in apt.conf to pin woody, and then override it on the
> command line for sid.  Finally, because I have a longer sources list, every
> apt-get update over a modem would take longer.  If I restore my
> sources.list, this ends up being like 1+2, only more work.

I'm not familiar with it.  Surely if the feature is new then you will
have to install packages from unstable to begin with.  Oh well.

> 4) apt-get source and build/install.

That feature of apt-get I just love.

> So I thought I'd try just installing the deb.  As I said, I thought the
> version dependency checking happened at the dpkg level.

Yes, but dpkg looks only one step ahead.  Apt-get can look more steps
ahead and walk dpkg around.  Dselect gives you an overview before you
set off.

Cheers,

Joost