Re: Modeprobe: Can't locate module ne

> Hi all, I want to do a fresh Potato install on an IBM Aptiva 466.

Is this a laptop?

> I have inserted a Novell/Anthem ne2000 Ethernet adapter and want to
> install the base system through my LAN.
> After the third driver disk, I try to load the ne module. This results
> (after I have tried numerous irq and io settings) in the message:
>
>   Modprobe: Can't locate module ne
>
> This seems to indicate the module is not on the disks? The Debian
> installer does let me select it from the menu. Or does this mean that my
> card cannot be found and that it might be misconfigured?

You might try changing to the 2nd vc (alt+F2), use 'ls' (without the quotes)
to find where lsmod, and insmod are and then issue

    /the_path/insmod  8390
    /the_path/insmod  ne

Yet I hope that someone else will confirm this and also points out how the
parameters like the correct IRQ should be handled.