Installing from 2.3 floppy set

I have made a disk set from the Woody tree in order to install on an old
IBM Aptiva 486DX2. I manage to load the rescue/root/driver disks just
fine. Next I install my network module without problem and I continue to
the network installation for the base system.
This starts off allright, but ends with an error:

  Failure trying to run: mount -t proc proc /proc

and after that:

  debootstrap exited with an error

Also, I am unable to write the bootstrap to the disk. I do not know what
goes on here. I have tried to partition a 10MB /boot partition, but that
does not help.

Any pointers much appreciated!

--
  Erik van der Meulen <e.van.der.meulen@avondel.nl>