Re: Ripping MP3s

On the Debian User list, many people including Chris Smith wrote:

Thanks for the info everyone. I'm having a few problems, however...

> > Can anyone recommend any package for creating mp3s from CDs
[snip]
> cdparanoia to extract the audio from the cd.

Okay, I've tried that, but I don't seem to get very far:

~# cdparanoia 1
<general info stuff snipped>
Ripping from sector      33 (track 1 [0:00:00])
Ripping   to sector   11822 (track 1 [2:37:14])

Ouputing to cdda.wav

(== PROGRESS == [>              | ...... 00 ] == :-P . ==)
hdb: irq timeout: status=0xd0
hdb: ATAPI reset complete
hdb: irq timeout: status=0xc0
hdb: ATAPI reset complete
hdb: irq timeout: status=0xc0
end_request: I/O error, dev 03:40, sector 0

Anyone know what those status code mean? The drive is quite obviously doing
something (I can hear it), and the '.' after the ":-P" in the PROGRESS line
changes between '.', 'o', and '0' (I guess to show that something is happening).

I read on the Troubleshooting section of the cdparanoia website that some
drives have trouble extracting the first track so I tried doing the second
and got a similar result, except that it first extracted most of the track.

The cdparanoia README says:
<snip>
|(for ATAPI and proprietary cdrom devices)
|
|  The kernel must have compiled-in or module-supplied cdrom support.

Compiled in, so I guess that's not the problem.

<snip>
|  In the /dev directory there have to be these descriptors:
|  br--------   1 cduser   user <major>,   0 Jan 23  1995 <cdrom device 1>
|  br--------   1 cduser   user <major>,   1 Mar 24  1993 <cdrom device 2>
|  etc...

I have:
/dev# ls -la | more
<snip>
lrwxrwxrwx  1 root  root       8 Aug  2  2000 cdrom -> /dev/hdb
<snip>
brw-rw----  1 root  disk  3,  64 Dec  9  1999 hdb

(which makes me think I might switch off the 'w' but doubt that that is my
problem here?)

|  a link named 'cdrom' to the cdrom drive used will speed up the
|  process of finding the cdrom (cdparanoia checks for the link first)

Yup, it seems to find it just dandy. Anyone know why it fails to complete
an extraction once it has found it, please?

> > For bonus points you might also like to recommend a sound card, as
> > I'm not sure that mine (Yamaha WF192XG) works too well (or at all)
> > using GPL-type software.
>
> Have you tried Alsa?

I've just started reading the docs. Last time that I looked, my card wasn't
supported as Yamaha wouldn't release the details, but it seems they've had a
change of heart :-)

--
Gary
Debian 2.1r4 (kernel v2.0.39); XFree86 3.3.6