Re: Gnome - How to install?

On Fri, Jun 22, 2001 at 05:56:37PM -0400, Wayne wrote:
> Hi.
> First let me make an apology to Nick for clicking my send button to soon.
> Well, I don't have an  .xinitrc file. So I looked at the man page for
> "startx".

Hi Wayne,

  If you create a new .xinitrc file, (containing the line: gnome-session),
 it will be looked at first.

> Apparently I'm using the file (xinitrc) in /etc/X11/init. I could see no
> referrence to wmaker in this file. So I tried this "startx gnome-session".
> Sure enough it started gnome. It doesn't look good, but it started.
> I got out of this session ok, but I now have xdm running. Could someone
> tell me how to stop xdm from starting?

  To stop xdm from starting at bootup, you can either remove it from your
 system:

# apt-get remove xdm

  Or, if you want to leave it installed but don't want it to start up by
 default, try this:

# update-rc.d -f xdm remove

  This will stop xdm from loading in all runlevels.

--
  Nick Jennings