Re: How to enable remote X-logins ?

I'm no expert on such things, but as I understand it, enabling xdmcp
on your machine tells gdm to allow remote hosts to log into your
machine through xdmcp, not the other way around. I don't know if gdm
will show a menu option to log into remote hosts without some manual
menu tweaking, but you can do something like

/usr/bin/X11/X -query <hostname>

to connect to the remote host without gdm, or specify that in your
gdm.conf if you always want to open a connection to a different host.
One thing you could do, if you have your machine and your friend's
machine which you often log into: set gdm up to have 2 X displays
running: one on :0 which is a "normal" into your machine and one on :1
whose server is specified as /usr/bin/X11/X -query my.friends.machine

like this: near the bottom of your /etc/gdm/gdm.conf you should see a
[servers] section something like this:

[servers]
0=/usr/bin/X11/X vt7 -deferglyphs 16 -nolisten tcp -dpi 100
# this second line starts up :1 on vt8
# 1=/usr/bin/X11/X vt8 -deferglyphs 16

change it to something like this:

[servers]
0=/usr/bin/X11/X vt7 -deferglyphs 16 -nolisten tcp -dpi 100
# this second line starts up :1 on vt8 connected to my.friends.machine
# 1=/usr/bin/X11/X vt8 -deferglyphs 16 -query my.friends.machine

Then you'll have your own local gdm on vt7 and an xdmcp connection to
your friend on vt8.

Note that I don't endorse this kind of thing in any fashion, unless
you're on a trusted private network. Use ssh instead. If you really do
want to be able to log into another machine through xdmcp (because it
is kinda neat), tunnel it through ssh. I don't think the performance
hit is worth it, though; I find it much nicer to just run X locally
and tunnel certain applications through ssh as necessary; I have
buttons on my gnome panel to pop up a terminal or gkrellm from another
host (so long as my agent is running and my key is loaded).

Vineet

* Joerg Johannes (liste_joerg@gmx.de) [010620 13:08]: