Re: Answer to Re: CardBus PC Card: 3c575-TX -- module creation ?

On Fri, Jun 22, 2001 at 10:52:14AM +0200, Lukas Ruf wrote:
> Therefore, the changes required to /etc/pcmcia/config are:
>
> device "3c575_cb"
> -   class "network" module "cb_enabler", "3c575_cb"
> +   class "network" module "cb_enabler", "3c59x"
>
> Then all works perfectly running as 100Mbps as well as 10Mbps.
>
> In case any distribution developer reads this email, why not include
> this change in the appropriate file.

If it fixes a bug, why not?  But then why not report it to the appropriate
developer?

joost@notebook:~$ dpkg -S /etc/pcmcia/network
pcmcia-cs: /etc/pcmcia/network
joost@notebook:~$ dpkg -s pcmcia-cs | grep -i maint
Maintainer: Brian Mays <brian@debian.org>

Hmmm, he was not in the email header, so it's somewhat of a hard chance
that he would be reading your message.  You know, it's an afwul load of
email, to track all of debian-{user,devel,policy,project} and whatnot
other highly interesting mailing lists.  Most debian developers have
full-time jobs or studies.  Some have a family.  Wow, they're just like
real people.

But don't let that discourage you in putting forward your fix.  The
developers are just like the users, apart from the fact that they have
made a stronger pledge to work on things and know their stuff.  Please
don't be led to believe any otherwise, because that would truly be a
loss to debian.  Did you read the social contract?  IMHO it appeals
to everybody.  In debian, we are our own users.  That I find one of
the most important qualities of it.

One of the great assets of debian is the very good bug tracking system.
Check it out at bugs.debian.org and read a few bits of the documentation
some nice people cared to write.

Then "apt-get install bug" (don't worry).  :-)  "man bug".

Then: "bug pcmcia-cs" and tell your story, paste in the patch.
The maintainer of pcmcia-cs will absolutely love you, if the patch is
indeed any good.  Soon, he will upload a fixed version to "unstable",
unless a grave security bug is addressed, in which case it will also be
put out as an update for "stable".

But maybe he has already fixed it in the version of the package
in unstable.  Well, your patch is not lost, because the bug can stay
registered for your particular version of the package and stick around
in the bug tracking system (maybe with a tag: "fixed in unstable") for
other people with the same problem, until the package version becomes
obsolete (new stable release for example) and the bug is closed.

Thanks and

Cheers,

Joost