Re: [users] Re: e-mail, the next level

also sprach nico de haer (on Fri, 22 Jun 2001 10:10:54AM +0200):
> Up until writing this message i've recieved two replies to my erlier posting
> "e-mail. the next level". Erik and Martin think in the same line as i do.
> Carl also contributed some points of interrest. Getting mail is no problem
> using a tool like Fetchmail. Even multiple accounts belonging to one user.
> Just let your mail sit in some (or multiple) internet mailbox(es) until you
> decide to get it. Using the IP-Up/Down scripts this can be done in a
> comfortable manner.

don't forget my ETRN method, which i like the best as it's the most
secure (no passwords), and it works beautifully - and you can't get
faster delivery if you decide not to read your mail on the server.

> For the actual reading part, i suppose that the POP3 server i suggested can
> be easely replaced by IMAP or any other you preffer. At this point, it's
> only used to read mail stored on your own server at your workstation.

... SSL tunneled, of course!

here, each user has two email addresses: user@madduck.net and
user@home.madduck.net. the default is @madduck.net, but when sending
internal emails, that changes to @home.madduck.net (hooks - of course
windoze can't do that.) the important thing to realize is that if an
internal message is sent with @madduck.net, it still gets there (after
a delay), and so does the reply. if an external message is sent with
return addy @home.madduck.net, it is definitely delivered to the
external recipient, and if the recipient uses something other than
micro$oft to relay messages, it will even make it back into the house,
since home.madduck.net is a CNAME to a dynamically changing IP
address, as i explained previously.

void write_thesis(char *subject, char *title} {
  // do something
}