Re: lilo trouble

On Fri, Jun 22, 2001 at 12:06:24AM +0200, Robert Waldner wrote:

> Hi!
>
> I have a machine with a large IDE-disk (hda) and a smaller, but also
>  faster SCSI-disk (sda). So the system resides on SCSI, bulk data on
>  IDE. So far, so good. But I can´t, for whatever reason, just boot
>  completely from the SCSI-disk, so I installed the MBR on the IDE one.
>
> boot=/dev/hda
> root=/dev/sda7
>
> There is a small /boot-partition on sda1, also.
>
> This setup worked flawlessly since 09/2000 until today I changed a
>  flaky network card and needed to upgrade from kernel 2.2.18 to 2.2.19
>  to get the via-rhine-module in a recent version.
>
> I installed (am I already grinding on your nerves? I know this is
>  rather long, but I can´t figure out how to keep it shorter and yet
>  include all vital information) kernel-image 2.2.19-2, although I
>  decided to write lilo.conf and run lilo myself, JIC it would bitch
>  about the SCSI/IDE-setup otherwise.
>
> When I try to boot from the disk, all I get after the lilo-prompt is
>    Error 0x01
>    Unable to load Linux
>    Error 0x01
>    <repeat>
>
> I googled up the following advice:
> - re-recreate the map-file
> - check BIOS-settings
>   - disable internal CPU-cache
>   - make conservative DRAM-settings
>   - make the IDE-drive known to the BIOS
>   - attach the IDE-drive as master, without any slave
> - upgrade BIOS
> - run lilo with append - pci=nobios
>                          pci=conf1
>                          pci=conf2
>
> did/checked all that, didn´t help.
>
> But best is the explanation for lilo-error 0x01:
> "`Illegal command''. This shouldn't happen, but if it does, it may
>  indicate an attempt to access a disk which is not supported by the
>  BIOS."
>
> Then why did it work flawlessly until today? I´m out of clues, here,
>  definitely.
>
> Can´t run the old kernel also. I´m just that: >< short now of
>  crunching the whole setup and getting a SCSI-controller with BIOS so I
>  can (maybe?) boot directly from SCSI, but somehow that doesn´t seem
>  right.
>
> So, any hints for a clueless?

I am not an expert but you could try the following:
Edit the lilo.conf file and put in the following

disk=/dev/sda
bios=0x80
# boot=/dev/hda  (get rid of this and change to the following)
boot=/dev/sda
root=/dev/sda7
install=/boot/boot.b
map=/boot/map
... then the rest of your lilo.conf ...

You could also experiment with the linear option - it may be needed.

Basically IIRC the first line tells lilo the geometry of the boot disk
(dev/sda7) and the second line tells it to treat the sda7 device as the
first bios hard disk (0x80) and boot from this.

Then rerun lilo

Hopefully, this will allow you to install lilo on your scsi disk and
allow you to boot from it.

Good luck.

ps I don't have any scsi devices so not sure.

Mark.