Re: Ripping MP3s

On Wed, 20 Jun 2001 garyjones@linuxfreemail.com wrote:

>Can anyone recommend any package for creating mp3s from CDs (yes, I do
>own them :) under Debian? I tried searching the package list but there
>was nothing obvious, only players it seemed.

The short answer is you can't.  Not because Debian cares a whistle if you
own the CDs or not, but because the MP3 codec is patented by Fraunhofer in
.de.  There are many utilities that'll rip CDs to ogg/vorbis format, which
isn't patented, but that doesn't help you use them elsewhere.  You may
want to try building lame from source.

--
Sacred cows make the best burgers

Who is John Galt?  galt@inconnu.isu.edu, that's who!!!