authentication problem in apache in debian

Hello,

A software called webct (written in perl) runs beautifully in a redhat box while it shows an authentication error in debian.

The webct installs it's own apache and the error is from apache's authenticationmechanism. With my little knowledge I found that the authentication details are kept in two files called dbm_pass.dir and dbm_pass.pag. These files get modified when we add users to webct. But these newly created accounts are not allowed to login as webct shows error message. If we use dbmmanage to check the entries with these files, that also shows error. If we successfully add users using dbmmanage to these files, then also webct fails in authentication.

The webct people say that they no longer support debian but only redhat. I am not inclined to change to redhat back after using debian for a long time just for webct.

So any gurus there to help me out? I am surprised why a perl program behaves differently in debian and redhat while both similar platforms.

Hoping to hear from you,

With regards

Suresh
Suresh Kumar.R,                            Email: suresh@ece.cet.ac.in
Dept of Electronics & Communication
College of Engineering, Trivandrum - 695 016, INDIA
Phone: (O) 91 471 595634 (R) 91 471 593991