Re: help: can't print

	Subject: Re: help: can't print
	Date: Wed, Jun 20, 2001 at 11:13:06PM -0700

Quoting Norbert Froese(nfroese@interchange.ubc.ca):
> Wayne Topa wrote:
>

> > >Am I  right in concluding that there is a problem sending information
> > > out my parralel port as even directly writing to /dev/lp0 doesn't even
> > > print garbage or make printer noises?
> > >

> > If you are using lilo to boot then you might try adding this to your
> > lilo.conf
> > Image = /boot/kernel-2.4.5
> > # 5/27/01 Netfilter  & lots of modules
> >         root    = /dev/hda1
> >         label   = current
> >         VGA     = 0x31A
> >  >>>>>  append  = "lp=parport0 parport=0x378,none"
> >
> > You do have lpr or lprng or cups installed, right?
> > You have installed magicfilter, right?
> > --
>
> I do have lprng and magicfilter installed, and re-ran magicfilterconfig.
>
> I added append ="lp....none" to lilo.conf and ran lilo.
>
> Things have changed. Now  'cat text_file > /dev/lp0' gives the message
> "/dev/lp0:Device or resource busy" instead of doing nothing at all.  Similarly
> lpr text_file still does nothing but now lpq also informes me that
> /dev/lp0:Device or resource busy.
>
> Still no sounds from my printer.
>
> Any help with how to proceed or which part of the printing system I should try
> to learn more about would be appreciated.

OK, lets check the obvious, file permissions.  This is what my
permissions are

VT1 root-2.2r3-prince:~# ls -l /var/spool/lpd
drwxrwsr-x    2 lp       lp           2048 Jun 20 10:22 lp

VT1 root-2.2r3-prince:~# ls -l /var/spool/lpd/lp
-rw-r--r--    1 root     lp             30 Jun 19 21:20 lock
-rw-rw-r--    1 root     lp             25 Jun 19 21:20 status

Lets see if you have enabled the printer in the kernel
grep -i printer /usr/src/linux/.config
CONFIG_PRINTER=y

and the Parport selections
VT2 root-2.2r3-prince:/etc/init.d# grep -i parport /usr/src/linux/.config
CONFIG_PARPORT=y
CONFIG_PARPORT_PC=y
CONFIG_PARPORT_PC_FIFO=y  (not really required)

and last but not least, read through the following in
/usr/doc/HOWTO/en-txt/
Printing-HOWTO.txt.gz and Printing-Usage-HOWTO.txt.gz

Its early in the morning so I hope I have covered everything.

NOTE:  Please reply to the list, not directly to me.  Others may have
a similar problem and these exchanges may benefit them as well.  I do
read all mail sent to the list.

Regards Wayne
--
You know you've been spending too much time on the computer when your
friend misdates a check, and you suggest adding a "++" to fix it.