Re: help: can't print

	Subject: help: can't print
	Date: Mon, Jun 18, 2001 at 03:35:36PM -0700

Quoting Norbert Froese(nfroese@interchange.ubc.ca):
> I don't know how to proceed.  Any suggestions would be appreciated.
>
> There is no action at all from my printer no matter what I do in Debian
> Linux.
>
> As root,  'cat text_file > /dev/lp0'  hangs but nothing happens at the
> printer
>
> my cmos parallel port settings are SSP ( as opposed to EPP,ECP or
> EPP&ECP) and port 378,irq7
>
> parport and lp support are compiled in the kernel
>
> the relevant dmesg output is:
>
> parport0: PC-style at 0x378 [PCSPP, TRISTATE]
> parport0: cpp_daisy: aa5500ff(10)
> parport0: assign_addrs: aa5500ff(10)
> parport0: Printer, EPSON Stylus COLOR 777
> lp0: using porport0 (poling).
>
> Am I  right in concluding that there is a problem sending information
> out my parralel port as even directly writing to /dev/lp0 doesn't even
> print garbage or make printer noises?
>
> How can I narrow down where the problem is? The kernel seems to know
> about my parallel port and have the address right.
>
> My printer (epson 777) and cable are OK as they work with windows
> booted.

If you are using lilo to boot then you might try adding this to your
lilo.conf
Image = /boot/kernel-2.4.5
# 5/27/01 Netfilter  & lots of modules
        root    = /dev/hda1
        label   = current
        VGA     = 0x31A

You do have lpr or lprng or cups installed, right?
You have installed magicfilter, right?
--
Hit any user to continue.