e-mail, the next level

Hello Debian friends,

I'd like to invite you to talk about 'how to do your e-mail' in the
following scenario. This scenario is farly common (i think) but there is no
howto recepie to do it.

scenario:

You have:
 - Debian server (mine is called gardian) able to connect to the internet:
 - Mail user agent on your client, that understands POP3 and SMTP (do you
know one that doesn't?)
 - There is no permanent link to the Internet (Using a modem, thus in most
cases Dynamic IP's)
 - All users got their own POP3 account (from your ISP or yahoo, probably
more options)

You want:
 - You want all users to be able to do e-mail as if they are on-line all the
time

What needs to be done: (also the part requiring some more work/thinking)
The following things can happen:

1. someone on the local network sends e-mail to a user on the local net
2. someone on the local network sends e-mail to an internet account
3. someone checks their e-mail

The only way to get this working at all is to handle all mail on your own
server. thisone is always there. I'm thinking of running POP3 on the local
server, and telling the clients to poll that account. This way your client
can 'get' mail for you regardless of the state of your internet connection.

We need a way of getting the mail out of your pop3 box, located somewhere on
the internet. I've been experimenting on getting Fetchmail to collect my
mail on Yahoo.com. Works ok for me. Fetchmail polls my mailbox and adds all
new messages to my mailbox located on the server located on my own network.
This needs to be done automagicaly when one goes on-line and while on-line
on a set interval. Last but not least, it needs to get mail for all users on
the local network. (I'll spare you the 'man fetchmail', this can all be done
by fetchmail, and the ip_up/down scripts)