re: help: can't print

--- Begin Message ---
Wayne Topa wrote:

> >Am I  right in concluding that there is a problem sending information
> > out my parralel port as even directly writing to /dev/lp0 doesn't even
> > print garbage or make printer noises?
> >

> If you are using lilo to boot then you might try adding this to your
> lilo.conf
> Image = /boot/kernel-2.4.5
> # 5/27/01 Netfilter  & lots of modules
>         root    = /dev/hda1
>         label   = current
>         VGA     = 0x31A
>  >>>>>  append  = "lp=parport0 parport=0x378,none"
>
> You do have lpr or lprng or cups installed, right?
> You have installed magicfilter, right?
> --

I do have lprng and magicfilter installed, and re-ran magicfilterconfig.

I added append ="lp....none" to lilo.conf and ran lilo.

Things have changed. Now  'cat text_file > /dev/lp0' gives the message
"/dev/lp0:Device or resource busy" instead of doing nothing at all.  Similarly
lpr text_file still does nothing but now lpq also informes me that
/dev/lp0:Device or resource busy.

Still no sounds from my printer.

Any help with how to proceed or which part of the printing system I should try
to learn more about would be appreciated.

Norbert

--- End Message ---