Re: lilo &kernel upgrade

On Wed, 20 Jun 2001 19:34:40 Chris wrote:
> Could anyone list a proper lilo.conf file for me to referrence mine
> against.. I plan to upgrade to kernel 2.4.5 and the last time i did
<snip>

Here's mine:

# Support LBA for large hard disks.
#
lba32
# Prompt - missing from default Debian install for some reason
-
# this prompts you for selecting dos, linux, etc.
prompt
# Specifies the boot device.  This is where Lilo installs its
boot
# block.  It can be either a partition, or the raw device, in
which
# case it installs in the MBR, and will overwrite the current
MBR.
boot=/dev/hda
# Specifies the device that should be mounted as root. (`/')
root=/dev/hdb2
# Installs the specified file as the new boot sector
install=/boot/boot.b
# Specifies the location of the map file
map=/boot/map
password=****
delay=20
vga=normal
# Boot up Linux by default.
#
default=Linux

image=/vmlinuz
        label=Linux
        read-only
#
image=/vmlinuz.old
        label=LinuxOLD
        read-only
        optional
#
image=/test-2.4.4
        label=test-2.4.4
        read-only
#
image=/test-iptables
        label=testiptables
        read-only
#
image=/test2.4-wlog
        label=test24log
        read-only
#
other=/dev/hda1
        label=dos
#       restricted
#       alias=3

I always use the kernel source from kernel.org, since I'm just
used
to doing things this way.  :)  Here's a good link on building a

kernel:
http://www.linuxnewbie.org/nhf/intel/compiling/kernelcomp.html

I always do make bzImage, copy the file bzImage to my /
directory
like: "cp bzImage /test24log" then edit lilo.conf and add in
that,
then run /sbin/lilo and if no errors, (typos do happen) reboot.

As you can see from my lilo.conf, I like to play around with
kernel compiles until I get things just so. :)  Hopefully this
will help.  Follow the instructions via the link above and you
should be set.  Hope that helps.

Dana