lilo &kernel upgrade

Could anyone list a proper lilo.conf file for me to referrence mine against.. I plan to upgrade to kernel 2.4.5 and the last time i did all i got during bootup was kernel panic...unable to mount root partition root=?  So I need a copy of a workable kernel and possible instructions on upgrading?  I need 2.4 kernel to work with my i810 board:(  If i knew it was this much of a pain i wouldn't have bought an i810 board...oh welll lesson learned?  This hopefully will let me get X up and running on my potato box 2.2r3.  I followed the kernel org's way to load kernel but i seem to end up with a kernel panic after compil,make... /sbin/lilo...reboot
THANKS TO ANYONE THAT REPLIES TO THIS GARBBLE.
DEBIAN--RULES!!!