Re: Monitor not remembering settings

On Wed, Jun 20, 2001 at 11:38:38AM -0500, Bart Szyszka wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have Debian unstable set up with KDM and KDE2 to dual-boot with a WindowsMe
> system. My problem is that each time I boot to Debian, I have to readjust my
> monitor's settings because the screen is all bent out of shape. Any idea why
> it keeps resetting? It never does that when I go back to Windows. Windows
> always sticks to the proper settings. I have a Proview PS-910 monitor. I'd
> appreciate some help with this.

You should be able to run "xvidtune" in order to get the right modeline.
Set your screen as you like then click on "show."  This will kick out a
modeline.

Find the modline in your /etc/X11/XF86Config file, in the appropriate
section, that starts with the same desktop size as xvidtune reports.
For example something along the lines of "1024x768."  Comment that
line out and paste the new modeline xvidtune created into the file.
Save the file and restart X.
hth,
kent

--