Re: Monitor not remembering settings

On Wed, Jun 20, 2001 at 11:38:38AM -0500, Bart Szyszka decreed:
> I have Debian unstable set up with KDM and KDE2 to dual-boot with a WindowsMe
> system. My problem is that each time I boot to Debian, I have to readjust my
> monitor's settings because the screen is all bent out of shape. Any idea why
> it keeps resetting? It never does that when I go back to Windows. Windows
> always sticks to the proper settings. I have a Proview PS-910 monitor. I'd
> appreciate some help with this.
>
> - Bart

I had the same problem with my Iiyama monitor.  I never understood the
issue.  Somehow X must have introduced subtle frequency variations
that appeared as different settings to the monitor.  I think it
somehow occurs when you're on a setting that's borderline acceptable
to the monitor.  I had to make extreme adjustments to my unstable
setting to make the display ok.

I was able to fix it by finding a list of generic VESA modelines that
tend to work well on all/most monitors.  I can provide more details
when I'm at my home Linux machine.  For starters here's a list I stole
from a email provided by Google search on "vesa modelines".  As the
email's author said, "USE THEM AT YOUR OWN RISK".

HTH,
Steve Cooper

Modeline "1600x1200" 202.5 1600 1664 1856 2160 1200 1201 1204 1250 +HSync +VSync #1600x1200 @85 Hz VESA
Modeline "1600x1200" 229.5 1600 1664 1856 2160 1200 1201 1204 1250 +HSync +VSync #1280x1024 @75 Hz VESA
Modeline "1280x1024" 135 1280 1296 1440 1688 1024 1025 1028 1066 +HSync +VSync #1280x1024 @85 Hz VESA
Modeline "1280x1024" 157.5 1280 1344 1504 1728 1024 1025 1028 1072 +HSync +VSync #1152x864 @75 Hz VESA
Modeline "1152x864" 108 1152 1216 1344 1600 864 865 868 900 +HSync +VSync #1152x864 @85 Hz VESA
Modeline "1152x864" 121.5 1152 1216 1344 1568 864 865 868 911 +HSync +VSync #1024x768 @75 Hz VESA
Modeline "1024x768" 78.75 1024 1040 1136 1312 768 769 772 800 +HSync +VSync #1024x768 @85 Hz  VESA
Modeline "1024x768" 94.5 1024 1072 1168 1376 768 769 772 808 +HSync +VSync #800x600 @75 Hz VESA
Modeline "800x600" 49.5 800 816 896 1056 600 601 604 625 +HSync +VSync #800x600 @85 Hz VESA
Modeline "800x600" 56.25 800 832 896 1048 600 601 604 631 +HSync +VSync #640x480 @75 Hz VESA
Modeline "640x480" 31.5 640 656 720 840 480 481 484 500 -HSync -VSync #640x480 @85 Hz VESA
Modeline "640x480" 36 640 696 752 832 480 481 484 509 -HSync -VSync