Re: Careers in Linux

On Wed, Jun 20, 2001 at 01:52:02AM +0100, mark wrote:
:Hi,

:    Iam finding it very hard to even get looked at by
:    empolyeers.Basically i have made a career change 1 1/2 years ago
:    from being a factory worker to supporting pc's (sadly win9x/win2k
:    for a uk comapany,name withheld to protect my job :-), at least it
:    got my foot in the door).

Luck did have a big part in getting my current position!  I was "the
guy who knows computers" in my last job (Public Works department of a
local Municipality), but hat little official responsibility for them.

Try to leverage that foot in the door, can you work in a cheap linux
box to do firewalling, mail, fileserving, intranet webserver, VPN ?

Be creative and see if there's anything you can do with old machines
going out of service or a really low end PC, so it won't cost your
employer much if anything, and then you'll have "official" linux admin
on your CV

:    Also I would be inclined as Iam to start playing with something like
:    Solaris as its more Unix based than say debian/rh/mandrake (if you
:    know what I mean)

All my "important" servers are Sun machines running Solaris, so yes
it's important to know.  But I wouldn't call it "more Unix based"
exept that Unix is a trademark Linux doesn't wear.  From an admin
perspective some of the commands behave a little differently (though I
use the GNU tools mostly so they are the same), and there's a few
minor differences that can be trouble till you get used to them.  From
a user view there's even less difference.  I'd go so far as to say the
difference between RH and Debian is greater than the difference
between Debian and Solaris.

That said, they're running Solaris because of the Sun hardware, and
Sparc Linux isn't quite where we'd need it to be.

-Jon