Re: How to enable remote X-logins ?

What's up,

Joerg Johannes wrote:

> Hi List
>
> I'm using gdm as display manager. What I am missing is the option "Login
> to remote host", as I have on Sun workstations at university. I looked
> into the gdm docs, and I found out that I have to set
> ..
> [xdmcp]
> Enable=1
> ..
>
> I left the other values on default, and hoped to find the remote login
> Button or menu on hte (restarted) gdm screen, but no. Still only login
> to localhost possible.
>
> Any idea?

Ok, I assume your using nis to log in and nfs to export home directories
from a server (or whatever) to the machine your logging in to.  First
make sure that you can log in as a user on the server.  On the local
machine:

	$su server.user

now make sure that server.user's home directory is mounted:

	$mount server:/home/server.user /home/server.user

Now you'll want to copy the contens of the file ".Xauthority" from a
user on the machine your logging in to and append it to the end of
"server:/home/server.user/.Xauthority"  Don't delete what's already in
there or you won't be able to get use X on the server (actually I
usually do delete it because who runs X on a server?).

Now exit Gnome (or whatever) and log in as "server.user".

To survive a reboot you'll need to edit /etc/fstab so that
server:/home/server.user is mounted on system boot and you'll need to
make sure that nis gets started on boot as well.

hth,
Andy