Re: unpredictable crashes, lock up, freezes, whatever

On Wed, Jun 20, 2001 at 05:00:41PM +0900, Olaf Meeuwissen wrote:
> > > Look for power-change events under apmd.
> >
> > I doubt that has anything to do with it because the machine is on AC
> > 99% of the time.  [Goes checking the logs now ...]   No correlation
> > between power change events and crash times.
>
> Okay, so I compiled a kernel without any APM support, installed and
> tried it.  My system froze within half an hour :-(

Haven't been fully following this thread, but I'll note I experienced
some APM/X related freezing with early versions of X 4.  I disabled
power management in X and the problem went away:

In /etc/X11/XF86Config:

Section "ServerFlags"
        Option "BlankTime"       "10"
        Option "StandbyTime"     "20"
        Option "SuspendTime"     "25"
        OPtion "OffTime"         "30"
        Option "NoPM"            "true"
EndSection

I've since commented out the 'Option "NoPM"  "true"' line, and the
problem hasn't occurred again.  Also, seems there may be some issue
between the X server and the xscreensaver in this regard.  Currently
have the X 4.0.3-4 (sid/unstable version) installed.  The "disagreement"
seemed to be more kernel/X than BIOS...

Maybe try disabling the Power Management in X?

--
Eric G. Miller <egm2@jps.net>