Re: installing new kernel

On Tue, 19 Jun 2001, G.LeeJohnson wrote:

> hi..
>
>   How do i get 2.4.5 to install with debian?..i know about compiling
> myself but i'm unsure how to incoorporate those changes with debian
> although i could do it blind-folded in RH..
>
>  It seems that when I installed Progeny it gave me info at one of the
> install screens saying Progeny comes with 2.1.18 but that via some
> command I can get higher kernels and would automatically come up in grub
> similar to lilo I guess?

May I suggest that you forget all that? To me the simpler way would be to
get the source for the kernel, set it up according to the Kernel-HOWTO at
www.linuxdoc.org, build yourself a kernel, run make-kpkg to make yourself
a set of kernel-source,kernel-image, and kernel-doc deb files (they'll end
up in /usr/src/), copy the kernel to a boot disk and install the modules
to ensure that things will work right, if it does, then remove the
/lib/modules/`uname -r` directory then install the debs. (this will also
serve to allow you to upgrade your kernel as you so choose and have dpkg
manage your kernels as well.)

As for grub, I don't use it (I'm a lilo junkie) so hopefully someone else
will chime up for that one.

BTW, using the make-kpkg will allow you quickly and efficiently get your
kernel back up to speed if you should ever have to reinstall (provided you
backed up the resulting debs :0)

--
David D.W. Downey - RHCE
Creator KiXO Linux