RE: New Ethernet Card

On Tue, 19 Jun 2001, Adri wrote:

> Don,
>
> At 18.19 18/06/2001 -0500, you wrote:
> >Adri,
> >
> >I saw your message on the Debian-User archived mailing list (which I am
> >NOT suscribed) and thought I would jump in here.  I am using the 2.2.19
> >kernel here, and I just did a quick check of my existing, pre-compiled
> >modules.  There WAS a "dfme.o" module listed there, so your card may
> >already have a compiled module that will work!  Before going to the
> >trouble of compiling the stuff that came with the card, take a look at
> >your /lib/modules/2.2.19-pre17/net/ directory and see if you can find a
> >"dfme.o" file listed there.  If it is there, then you "should" be able
> >to make it work by inserting it in the /etc/modules file or by using the
> >"modconf" program and adding any needed options you may want.
>
> Thank you VERY much. The file was there, indeed, but it's called dmfe.o not
> dfme.o  !  ;)
That is lucky!

> I edited the /etc/module file and rebooted. Then, /usr/sbin/modconf had it
> loaded successfully.
>
> Then I edited the /etc/network/interfaces. There was a loopback interface
> in it, I added
>
> iface eth0 inet static
>        address 195.94.135.247
>        netmask 255.255.255.192
>        network 195.94.135.192
>        gateway .. .. ... I don't remember now
>

> Then I typed ifup eth0 and I got
>
> "SIOCADDRT  network unreachable" error message.

Try setting up manually:
# ifconfig eth0 195.94.135.247 netmask 255.255.255.192 up
# ifconfig eth0

If the card has been set up ok, your cardinfo is displayed here. But I
think you messed up your netmask and network. Netmask is usually
255.255.255.0 here and network is 195.94.135.0.

Now the gateway:
# route add default gw 195.94.135.192
(I think this is your gateway).

Look if this works correct, then edit /etc/network/interfaces.

Greetz,
Sebastiaan