Re: iPAQ ?

On Fri, Jun 15, 2001 at 11:34:15PM -0400, Jonathan D. Proulx wrote:
> This is definately premature, but...
>
> I'm getting an iPAQ early next week, and was wondering if anyone out
> there's wedged debian onto one yet?
>
> It's meant to come with Linux, which I can only assume means Dead-Rat,
> or perhaps a Compaq sepecial mini-distro...

Which model are you getting?  I've got a 3650, and am running Familiar
on it (http://familiar.handhelds.org).  Feel free to come downstairs and
talk to me about it (NE43-234).  There are a whole mess of people in LCS
who have iPaqs running Linux.

The Familiar distribution is based on Debian, although they never seem
to come right out and say that.  You'll find plenty of stuff in Familiar
is, well, familiar to you.  Packages installed using 'ipkg', which works
very much like apt-get.  'ipkg install mingle' will install a contact
manager, for example.

You really don't want to try installing a full Debian system on an iPaq.
There is nowhere near enough space on the thing for it.

If you haven't already, you'll want to get a jacket that adds a PCMCIA
slot for it.  It works very well on the wireless network, and can
actually be useful if networked.

noah