Some logging not working after reinstallation

I have just reinstalled debian potato on this system and now some things
don't work as they did before.  Now I copied a lot of my config files
before reinstalling so things really should be the same.

Here is a specific example:  I run fetchmail after establishing my ppp
connection - it all works fine and gets the mail fine but I no longer
can watch the progress in /var/log/syslog - no logging whatsoever.

I call fetchmail with the --syslog flag and also the fetchmailrc has set
syslog in it.  It is also the same fetchmailrc and script calling
fetchmail as I had on the previous system which worked fine.

I think it must have something to do with how I installed sysklogd or
something like that.  But I have checked /etc/syslog.conf and it is the
same as on another potato system which works fine - also with same
fetchmail calling script and substantially the same fetchmailrc.

It doesn't make sense to me.  Any ideas?

Thanks.
Mark.