Re: Creating Source Packages

Jason Ferguson <jferguson3@home.com> wrote:
>Heres the problem. They build and install fine. However, on the next
>apt-get dist-upgrade, the packages are overwritten with the standard
>ones!

Edit debian/changelog and add an additional entry to the top,
incrementing the version number by 0.0.1. The devscripts package
contains a utility called debchange (or dch) which will help you get the
format right. Then build and install the new package. When a real new
version comes out, you'll get that, but until then your local packages
will remain installed.

>I put "export CFLAGS='-O2 -march=i686'" into my .bash_profile, but
>the rules build seems to ignore it (hence me editing that script).

Yes, debian/rules routinely sets CFLAGS itself. Packages are supposed to
build the same way regardless of their environment.

(By the way, the easiest way to build a package is 'dpkg-buildpackage
-rfakeroot', or, again from the devscripts package, 'debuild'.)

Cheers,