Creating Source Packages

I need help with creating source packages (but with a twist). Heres the situation.

I want to create i686 replacement packages for my machine. So, using gnomeicu as an example, here's what I did:

apt-get source -d gnomeicu
dpkg-source -x gnomeicu...dsc
cd gnomeicu

Now, the standard way to build a package is to do "debian/rules build" at this point. However, to create the optimized packages, I did the following:

cd debian
vi rules
(add -O2 and -march=i686 to the $(MAKE) line)

Then I did the debian/rules build.

Heres the problem. They build and install fine. However, on the next apt-get dist-upgrade, the packages are overwritten with the standard ones! I put "export CFLAGS='-O2 -march=i686'" into my .bash_profile, but the rules build seems to ignore it (hence me editing that script).

HELP!!!

Jason