Re: Samba and 2k

Just guessing here:
1. W2K has NetBIOS, but not over TCP/IP.
2. Your W2K user lacks proper permissions on the Samba side.
3. W2K security is preventing you from seeing samba.  W2K security
seems distinctly tighter than NT 4, annoyingly so.
4. W2K thinks it is PDC and refuses to play with Samba.
5. Your WINS service is not running properly on Linux box. Perhaps it refuses to respond
to requests from the W2k box because it only attends to certain IP addresses.

Each idea has an implicit theory about how things work that may be wrong (e.g., point 1 assumes samba uses NetBIOS over TCP). It's just a list of possibilities that might be worth exploring.