Re: Video shutdown instead of xscreensaver

On Sat, Jun 16, 2001 at 06:55:43AM -0400, ajlewis2@intac.com wrote:
> I put this line in .xinitrc
>
> xset dpms 300 360 480
> Sometimes it doesn't work and I have to go to another terminal and then back
> to terminal 7 where X is.  I don't know what that is.  I think I started
> having this problem after the upgrade in woody to X 4.0.x, but I'm not sure.
> Usually the screen will go into standby and then suspend and then off.
>
> If anyone knows how to do this at console, I'd like to know how.  A blank
> screen is not sufficient for me, because at night there is still light on
> the screen and I really want to not use the energy when I don't need to.
>
> Anita

Anita,

  That is what I wanted. I'll put xset in a global xinit so all the users will have this feature enabled.

  Now I'll have to discover how to do it in a console, or enable 'gdm' or 'xdm' so the computer starts X and that will probably work when nobody is logged.

  What you told about go to another terminal and back to X... why dont you try:
      xset dpms 300 360 480
      xset +dpms
  Maybe it works.

     Thanks for everyone,