Re: /bin/sh for all users?

>>>>> "Dragos" == Dragos Delcea <dragos.delcea@farmexim.ro> writes:

Dragos> I know that, but I'm courious: why /etc/passwd didn't came
Dragos> with /bin/false as default setting (I'm talking about system
Dragos> accounts that really don't use/need the shell)

There are some programs which rely on the fact that a system user has
a valid shell. su for example: if you set the shell of a user to
/bin/false, you can't do things like "su user -c ...".

However, if you look in /etc/shadow, you will notice lines like:
daemon:*:11419:0:99999:7:::

The `*' in the second field prevents people from logging in directly
using this account.

--
G. ``Iggy'' Geens - ICQ: #64109250
Home: <ggeens@iname.com> - Work: <ggeens@capgemini.be>