sawfish, testing, unstable

Hello. For some time now, I have wanted/needed to upgrade to testing
(woody). What has held me back principally is the absence of a version
of sawmill/sawfish in the testing branch of the distribution
tree. This is the window-manager that I use; I am very fond of it and
don't want to have to manage without it. I have tried hand-compiling
more current versions of sawfish on my 2.2r3 system, but have always
been defeated by missing or aged libraries.

So the solution I am currently contemplating is: (i) upgrading to the
version of apt in testing (so as to have the `preferences' utility
especially), (ii) upgrading selectively to testing, and then (iii)
installing the version of sawfish from unstable. I don't use gnome,
and so I was hoping that the dependency difficulties that seem to have
delayed sawfish's introduction into testing would not apply.

Does anyone know of a reason why this would not work, or of a reason
why it might be a bad idea? I'd be really grateful for any advice.

If you could copy me on any reply, I'd be even more grateful. I
subscribe to debian-user-digest, but the digest service seems to be
unavailable just now,

Jim