Re: COM21 is killing me with ARP

From: Vector <vector@itpsg.com>
To: Sebastiaan <S.Breedveld@ITS.TUDelft.NL>
CC: Angus D Madden <ii@cipete.ekilat.com>, debian-user@lists.debian.org
Subject: Re: COM21 is killing me with ARP
Date: Wed, 13 Jun 2001 16:30:48 -0600 (MDT)

The fact that your provider is using an etire class B address space for
a single broadcast network is what should be making you nervous.  In most
network architecture schemes, the ip's are divided into blocks and thus
the amount of broadcasts being received by individual hosts are greatly
reduced.  I would want to see more of the dump to actually determine if
this is really a problem.  ARP's are used to gain the MAC address of a
system with an IP that is on the same network as you are.  With a class B
address space of potentially 65,533 hosts on the same broadcast network
you can expect to see *MANY* ARP requests!  Is this AT&T, sounds like
something they would do...

vector