Galeon installation (compiling from source) fails: no vfs?

I'm attempting to get the Galeon source compiled (acquired from the
sourceforge ftp server), but ./configure fails with this message:

	checking for GNOME - version >= 1.2.0... yes
	checking for additional GNOME modules...  vfs*** applets library is not
	installed
	configure: error:
	*** GNOME 1.2.0 or better is required.
	*** gnome-vfs 0.6.0 or better is required.

I have both the libgnome-vfs0 and libgnome-vfs-dev packages installed,
and couldn't turn up any other packages mentioning "vfs" at
http://packages.debian.org/. I'm pretty sure I've got all of the base
gnome packages installed

I'm running Debian unstable, kernel 2.4.4,, using the S3 X server
(3.3.6)

Help would be greatly appreciated :).

--

Andrew Sione Taumoefolau