Help with glib-config

Recently I have tried to install a few applications that are not
included in debian packages, and which require compiling.  I figured I
had everything that was necessary, but the ./configure stage always
fails because I don't have the glib-config script that is supposed to be
generated by GLIB (the use of uppercase is a direct quote).

I have gcc, bison, etc. installed.  I have libstdc++.

What am I missing?

TIA

Cam

--