Re: Noting in /var/cache/man/cat? ?

Shaul Karl <shaulka@bezeqint.net> wrote:
>It is still empty. What version are you using? I am using testing. Can
>it be that you have somehow configured your system for that matter?
>If I got it correctly the caching thing is problematic since your whole
>/var might be filled up with this stuff, and so there is a way to
>prevent it. Could it be that the debian man-db doesn't use it by
>default?

Quite right, but for the wrong reason (cat pages are purged every so
often anyway). I got very bored of the way that, every time somebody
reported a security hole in man-db (once every few weeks recently), I
didn't go to sleep until it was fixed. Thus it is no longer setuid by
default and can't write to the cache directories. You can turn that back
on with debconf if you like.

man was setuid in stable, which is why you're hearing different reports
from different people.