Re: HELP lost my mouse

Ross Boylan wrote:

I'm running X and I just ran the gpm configuration tool.  Although I
said n for whether I had anything to change, I lost the mouse after it
closed.

Is there some way I can get it back so I can at least shut my stuff
down properly?

/etc/init.d/gpm stop

(Background: xdos of the dosemu package wasn't recognizing my mouse,
and I wanted to check my settings for X so I could put them in
dosemu.conf.)

gpm controls the mouse in text-based consoles, and really doesn't have anything to do with X. Having said that, if X is not properly configured to co-exist with gpm, having gpm running can make you lose your mouse in X. For mouse settings in X, take a look in /etc/X11/XF886Config.

Sometimes, even if X is properly configured to co-exist with X, restarting the gpm server can sometimes flake out the mouse in X. Usually, you can get your mouse back by switching to a virtual terminal (Ctrl-Alft-F1, etc) and then back again (Ctrl-Alt-F7, etc).

I'm on X 4.0 with sawfish as the window manager.  Gnome desktop, with
gdm starting things off.