Re: KERNEL UPGRADE INSTALL PROBLEMS

	Subject: KERNEL UPGRADE INSTALL PROBLEMS
	Date: Thu, Jun 14, 2001 at 09:58:30AM -0700

Quoting D. Hoyem(youto_22554@yahoo.com):
> Hi All,
>   I'm running Potato-2.2.r3 with Bunks 2.4.x updates
> installed.  I also use lilo on this dual boot machine.
>   I have downloaded the 2.4.5-586 kernel-image and
> tried to install with dpkg -i
> kernel-image-2.4.5-586_2.4.5-1_i386.deb.  This is what
> I get:
>   You are attempting to install an initrd kernel image
> (version 2.4.5-586)
> This will not work unless you have configured your
> boot loader to use initrd.
>
> To get rid of this message, put `do_initrd = Yes' in
> /etc/kernel-img.conf. (Do I need to do this?)
> Do you want to stop now? [Y/n].
>
> I also tried to install it with apt-get install .....
> and I get the error message that I need initrd-tools.
> If I try and download that I get the error message
> that I  need ash and and another program.  If I try
> and get ash it tells me I need initrd-tools.
>   I have also read the Debian Manual on installing the
> kernel several times.
>   Can someone point me in the right direction to find

Been there, tried that.  I found the fastest was to upgrade was to get
the Kernel source.  Then the old standby (make dep ; make clean ; make
bzImage ; make modules ; make modules_install )  worked the first
time.

I have done that since 2.4.0.  I also don't find
/etc/kernel-img.conf on my system nor do I find initrd-tools in the
package lists for potato, which I guess installs that file.

I personally do not know what advantage make-kpkg has over the above
method, but I cut my teath on the the old way long ago.

uname -a
Linux prince.mtntop.home 2.4.5 #6 Sun May 27 12:18:37 EDT 2001 i586
unknown

:-) HTH, YMMV, HAND :-)

--
The program is absolutely right; therefore the computer must be wrong.