Re: circular dependency : failed dist-upgrade to unstable

thomas.1037@osu.edu wrote:
>I tried to upgrade my debian (potato, with kernel 2.2.19) to unstable
>using apt, after editing sources.list. Howver the process stoped
>reporting errors of unmet dependencies . So I tried to do "atp-get -f
>install" as suggested but even this bails out with the error message :
>
>perl: /lib/libc.so.6: version `GLIBC_2.2' not found (required by
>/lib/libdb.so.3)
>E: Write error - write (32 Broken pipe)
>E: Failure running script /usr/sbin/dpkg-preconfigure --apt
>
>I also tried apt-get install libc6 , which reported a similar error.
>
>I seem to have run into a circular dependency problem . Since

Circular dependencies are no problem, we have them all over Debian.
(Circular pre-dependencies would be a problem.) Try 'apt-get install
libc6 libdb2'?

If your perl is broken, that might be a problem. You could try editing
/etc/apt/apt.conf and commenting out the dpkg-preconfigure line.