CPAN updating Perl version

This all started so simply - I just wanted the mysql DBI module. So I
fired up CPAN for the first time (perl -MCPAN -e shell), went through
the configuration, and then watched as it downloaded and installed
Perl 5.6.1. Oops. Debian.org doesn't even list a Perl 5.6.1; the most
recent they have is 5.6 (in unstable).

I *think* that Perl still works (although 90 minutes into this, I
still haven't gotten to the mysql driver), but here's my question: is
my Debian package system hosed? This isn't a production machine, so
I'm not worried about the odd bit of breakage, but I'd really like to
know what the implications are. It seems that CPAN is its own
mini-package manager, and it's conflicted with Debian's. Do apt-get
et. al. still think that Perl 5.005 is my current version? How would I
convince them otherwise?

TIA

Randall