Re: [users] Re: Why can't I?

On Wed, Jun 13, 2001 at 11:14:35PM -0400, D-Man wrote:
> On Wed, Jun 13, 2001 at 03:17:52PM -0800, Ethan Benson wrote:
> | On Wed, Jun 13, 2001 at 01:11:49PM -0400, D-Man wrote:
> | > By "make my machine download things" do you mean that he logs in and
> | > uses ftp or a web browser?  If so, then he ought to be downloading the
> | > stuff into his own home directory.  By default (and quite naturally)
> | > users _can't_ see someone else's home directory unless that person
> | > explicitly makes it readable.
> |
> | wrong, debian creates home directories mode 755, world readable by
> | default like all other *nixes that have come before it.
>
> Why would all other *nixes default to being insecure?  I don't know
> where it is set (possibly by the admin after using useradd), but the
> home directories on the Solaris system at school are not world
> readable unless one makes theirs so.

I just installed Solaris 8 x86. I didn't change any of the defaults.  As
an experiment I created users with -
# useradd -m -k /etc/skell -d /export/home/kent -s /usr/bin/bash
and
# useradd -m -d /export/home/ann -s /bin/sh

The permissions of /export/home
drwxr-xr-x root root

Default permissions of files in both ~kent and ~ann
-rw-r--r-- ann/kent other

It appears out of the box anyway that world readable is default.
kent

--
 From seeing and seeing the seeing has become so exhausted