Re: FTP/User access, was: Re: [users] Re: Why can't I?

On Wed, 13 Jun 2001, D-Man wrote:

> Cool.  It is already fixed.
>
> (a moment later)
> # dpkg-reconfigure --frontend=text adduser
> debconf: package "adduser" is not installed or does not use debconf
>
> |  $ dpkg --status adduser | grep -i version
> |  Version: 3.37
>
> # dpkg --status adduser | grep -i version
> Version: 3.11.1
>
> Guess I'll have to wait a while for that (I have a potato system).

One thing you can do right now is to create a script
/usr/local/sbin/adduser.local to run chmod on the newly-created home
directory, so that you don't have to do it manually each time you make a
new user. I use mine to send a "welcome" message, but it looks like it
would fill your needs as well.

>From the adduser(8) manpage:

       If  the file /usr/local/sbin/adduser.local exists, it will
       be executed after the user account  has  been  set  up  in
       order  to  do  any  local  setup.  The arguments passed to
       adduser.local are:
       username uid gid home-directory

Hope this helps,
Aaron

--
So:  My point is that [Microsoft] may have a ton of money and be more
vicious than a junkyard dog, and have a stranglehold on dimwitted IS

-- Rick Moen, on macosx-for-users