Re: All packages ... again.

On the other side of the scale, I recently did what a friend suggested
and bailed on the CD install just b4 it upacked packages and installed
them on my system...leaving me with a bootable system and (virtually)
nothing on it.  I then got network support up by apt-getting from CD,
config'd some ftp sources and started apt-getting just what I needed
from the Debian mirrors.

I think this "bare" install works great and installing as needed gives
you a really good idea of how things interact, and what package does
what.  It also makes your system pretty lightweight.  You will
however, sometimes have to do a little more configuration.

My .02

On Wed, Jun 13, 2001 at 04:17:02PM +1000, Ian Perry wrote:
> You said:  "Listen to the voices of experience."
>
> A few years ago I actually did what this person wanted to do... tried
> installing them all.
> After several weeks of tooling around and getting nowhere with an extremely
> unstable system, I ended up getting out my setup disks, killed the
> partitions and started from scratch.  I then did exactly as you suggested...
> trialled a few and came up with a regime of packages I liked, and ended up
> with a rock solid stable system which never gives any problems
>
> Ian

\    ^ ^
 \----..
 )___ \o