[probably offtopic] xdm port listening

I've noticed a disturbing behavior in the version of xdm distributed in the x
strike force's 4.1.0 prerelease series where xdm seems to listen on random ports
in the 30000-60000 range. I'm not quite sure about this as I don't know exactly
how to look up which program is using which port, though the listening behavior
seems to be solely dependant on xdm running. If it makes any difference, I
discovered this while running an 'nmap -p 1- localhost' out of sheer boredom and
so far as I can tell all of the 'nolisten' options are set correctly in xdm's
config files.